So I don’t like eating real cheese, cause no matter how much oil, sugar, chocolate, and carbs I eat, real cheese just scares me. Its weird. So I used to eat Mac and cheese at school (up until high school really) and the cafeteria used to serve the most memorable Mac and cheese. Yea, its weird. Since I don’t like real cheese anymore, I needed to combine my macaroni with something…and pasta sauce doesn’t cut it. Did I mention I don’t like tomatoes either (too mushy and eh).
Since I am moving back to NY for 6 months, I am forcing myself to finish all my food before leaving, so I don’t have to throw it out.
I usually buy two types of non-dairy cheese: a mozzarella flavored and a cheddar flavor. The first one usually finishes first, so I used the ‘cheddar’ flavored cheese slices (I think it was the Trader Joe brand).
I know it doesn’t look appealing in the picture, that’s because my phone is out dated. For real tho, even certain apps don’t let me in (ahem, snapchat).
So here’s the ingredient list:
- -hand full (I made it for myself only) of macaroni (any will do, I used whole wheat)
- -1 tablespoon (or more, depends on how you like it) of garlic salt
- -1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- -2 teaspoons of thyme
- -2 slices of any vegan cheese
- -some nutritional yeast (I didn’t have any)
- -a bit of almond milk (very little)
- 1 teaspoon (or more) of vegan butter
- Boil some water, twice as much as the amount of macaroni. Add the macaroni until its cooked through. Don’t forget to add some salt for flavor and some vinegar so there isn’t a sticky-mushiness to it.
- Add some almond milk (or any other kind you’d like) to a pot on medium heat and let it simmer. Then add the butter and garlic salt, minced garlic, and thyme. Keep stirring until all is combined.
- Add the slices of cheese (can use more if you’d like) to the milk mixture and stir. Keep stirring until the milk has evaporated and you get a cheesy consistency.
- Add in the already made macaroni to the pot of cheese. Keep the heat on medium heat. Combine everything together and remove from the pot once you get a ‘mac and cheese look’. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast for more of a cheesy flavor and a boost of vitamins. Enjoy 🙂
* Note, some measurements might be a bit off, because like my mama, I don’t use measuring equipment.
** Make sure to do your own trail an error.